At Stafford Railway Building Society, your privacy matters to us.
The General Data Protection Regulation, known as GDPR, is a positive step towards you having more control over how your data is used and how you are contacted. The changes will also help to better protect your personal data.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
I. The Stafford Railway Building Society Privacy pledge:
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force on 25 May 2018, which will change how personal data is handled. We’ve updated our Privacy Notice to show how you and the Society are affected by the GDPR.
II. A summary of our Privacy Notice:
At Stafford Railway Building Society, protecting your data is very important to us. We act as data controller of your personal information, which means information that is about you or from which we can identify you.
Our Data Protection Officer (DPO), Anna Guy, can be contacted if you have any queries about this Privacy Notice or wish to exercise any of the rights mentioned in it. Details of how to contact the Society are at the end of this notice. This document is an abridged version of our full Privacy Notice which can be found on our website at www.srbs.co.uk or is available in our Branch.
III. How we use your personal information:
We will use your information to open and administer your account, for fraud prevention and detection, for marketing purposes (provided we have your specific consent), to fulfil regulatory requirements, and for general business purposes.
The legal bases on which we process this data are:
• That it is necessary to fulfil our contract with you.
• That it is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, and/or
• That it is in our legitimate business interests.
IV. What information do we collect about you?
This will depend on the products or services you apply for and, if your application is successful, obtain from us. We collect different information depending on whether it is related to a mortgage or savings account. Lists of the information we collect can be found on the full Privacy Notice.
We collect information about you directly, unless you are introduced by a broker or intermediary when we will obtain some personal information about you indirectly from them when they introduce you to us.
V. How your information may be shared
We also disclose and obtain personal information from other third party sources, such as Fraud Prevention Agencies and Credit Reference Agencies, to assist in the prevention of fraud and money laundering. These organisations have their own Privacy Notices, and links to these are available on our website.
For our mortgage customers, we may share your personal information with other organisations or advisers where this is necessary to fulfil our contract with you. Examples include solicitors, insurers, and valuers acting for you and us.
VI. Your Rights
Here is a list of the rights that all individuals have under data protection laws. They do not apply in all circumstances, and further details of each individual right can be found in our full Privacy Notice.
• The right to be informed about the processing of your personal data.
• The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate, and to have incomplete information completed. If you need to update your personal information, please contact us.
• The right to object to the processing of your personal information.
• The right to restrict the processing of your personal information.
• The right to have your personal information erased (the “right to be forgotten”).
• The right to request access to your personal information, and to obtain information about how we process it. Data Subject Access Request forms can be obtained via a link on our website, or by writing to or emailing the Society. Please see ‘How to contact us’ below.
• The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information.
• Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or significantly affects you.
• You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office which enforces data protection laws: https://ico.org.uk
Stafford Railway Building Society takes your privacy seriously, and will only use your information to administer your account and to provide the products and services that you have requested from us. However, from time to time we would like to contact you with details of other products or services that we provide.
We will ask you to complete a form setting out your marketing preferences. You have the right to change these preferences at any time, or to ask us to stop contacting you for marketing purposes. Please see ‘How to contact us’ below.
VIII. Monitoring and Retention of your Personal Data
We may monitor where permitted by law and will do this where the law requires it. In particular, where we are required by the Financial Conduct authority regulatory regime to record certain telephone lines. Telephone calls between you and us may be recorded to make sure we have a record of what was discussed and your instructions, and for quality control and staff training purposes.
We will retain your personal information in accordance with our retention periods. A copy of the retention periods can be found in the full Privacy Notice.
IX. How to Contact Us
Please contact us if you have any questions about our Privacy Notice or the information we hold about you.
Phone 01785 223212
Write to Stafford Railway Building Society, 4 Market Square, Stafford, ST16 2JH
Additional Important Documents
• GDPR: Q&A
• Identity Verification and Fraud Flyer
• Credit Reference Agency Information Notice Flyer
YOUR MORTGAGE IS SECURED ON YOUR HOME, WHICH MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP THE MORTGAGE REPAYMENTS. THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE SECURING OTHER DEBTS AGAINST YOUR HOME
We only offer our own products. All our residential mortgages are regulated and therefore subject to the FCA regulations' requirements.